Address: Tonbridge School, High Street, Tonbridge, Kent TN9 1JP
Number of Pupils: 806
Fees: Boarding per term from £14,945; day per term from £11,212
Head Teacher: James Priory
Religious Affiliation: Church of England
Entrance Procedure: Entrance examination and interview. Major entry point is at 13+ and again at 16+ but with opportunities also usually available at 14+.
Contact: Admissions, 01732 304297
Email: [email protected]
School Visits: See website for details, including how to book for Open Mornings and Tours https://www.tonbridge-school.co.uk/admissions/visit
The pursuit of academic excellence is central. The curriculum is designed to encourage flexibility of choice at GSCE, while new sixth-form curriculum offers multiple A-level pathways.
Games & The Arts
Wide participation encouraged in range of sports: many boys go on to play at county, regional or national level. School productions, rehearsals and drama workshops take place at the school’s own EM Forster Theatre. Strong tradition of musical excellence, with regular performances and concerts.
Pastoral care at Tonbridge is based around a strong House system, with positive relationships between boys, staff and parents being central to its success. Twelve Housemasters are responsible for boys’ academic progress and well-being, and they are supported by a pastoral team attached to each House. There is also an on-site Medical Centre, Chaplaincy, dedicated school counsellor and welfare group.
Each year boys progress to leading universities in the UK and worldwide.
Head Teacher’s Philosophy
James Priory joined Tonbridge as Headmaster in September 2018. Fully focused on young people’s all-round development, achieving high academic standards supported by strong pastoral care and an enriching co-curriculum. Also known for his passion for the creative arts and for a commitment to the transformative opportunities provided by means-tested bursaries.
- Named Independent Boys’ School of the Year 2019 (Independent Schools of the Year Awards)
- High quality and innovative teaching and learning.
- Academic achievement, with superb GCSE, A-level results and progression to leading universities worldwide.
- Opportunities for all boys in sports, music, art and drama, and significant commitment to social responsibility.
- A distinctive mixture of boarders and day boys.
- Superb facilities on a 150 acre site, only 40 minutes by train from central London.
Back to all Schools