Address: Escrick Park, Escrick, York, Yorkshire Area North YO19 6EU
Number of Pupils: 261
Fees: Boarders – £11,230 per term (£33,690 per annum); day boarders – £7,375 per term (£22,125 per annum)
Head Teacher: Sue Baillie
Religious Affiliation: All faiths
Entrance Procedure: The General Assessment Day for entry at 11+, 12+ and 13+ takes place in the January preceding the September of entry to QM. On that day, candidates will complete English and mathematics papers, the Ann Arbor Dyslexia Screening Test and have an individual interview. Sixth-form entry is considered on an individual basis. We expect girls to show potential and promise and be passionate about their chosen A-level subjects. Candidates must pass GCSE/IGCSE English and mathematics at grade C or higher, or hold a similar qualification.
Contact: Admissions Manager, Elizabeth Auty, 01904 727633
Email: [email protected]
School Visits: Queen Margaret’s would be delighted to welcome you to one of its regular open mornings. Please visit here for upcoming dates. Individual visits and taster days can also be arranged by contacting the Admission Department at [email protected]
With 22 GCSE subjects and 29 A-level subjects on offer, personalised timetables are created for every girl.
Games & the Arts
Not only equal opportunity but every opportunity: At QM every activity is open to all girls; they participate, influence and lead. QM has a reputation as a first class sporting school and provides specialist tuition to girls pursuing the creative arts.
Our girls benefit immensely from our horizontal boarding system. At QM, boarding is arranged by year group, which helps the girls to bond. Housestaff can better focus on and cater for the specific needs of an age group, after all, the highs and lows of the girls in Red House (our cosy farmhouse for Year I and II girls) are very different to those of the girls in The Cottages, where the UVI live more independently in their final year.
The majority of our girls go onto Russell Group Universities. QM also nurtures pupils who have the potential to gain places at the most competitive and prestigious Higher Education institutions through its Oxbridge Programme.
Head Teacher’s Philosophy
Nowhere is the family feel as truly lived as it is at QM. Girls are given time and space to thrive intellectually, socially and emotionally. Girls have a strong sense of belonging and pride in their school. They work hard, achieve beyond expectations and forge lasting friendships along the way. QM is the wind beneath their wings.
- Queen Margaret’s is the only all-girls full boarding and day school in the north of England.
- QM is set in 75 acres of beautiful parkland, yet is only six miles from the historic city of York.
- QM excels at being a small school. The staff are able to nurture the girls, and every girl has a voice. It is a school where everybody matters.
- QM’s excellent GCSE and A-level results demonstrate how effective an all-girls education with dedicated teachers and small class sizes can really help girls to thrive and realize their academic potential.
- Upon completing their QM journey, girls receive their red ribbon, a tradition which dates back to the 1920s.
Back to all Schools