Address: Downsend Pre-Prep Ashtead: (2-6 years) 22 Oakfield Road, Ashtead KT21 2RE | Downsend Pre-Prep Epsom: (2-6 years), 6 Norman Avenue, Epsom KT17 3AB | Downsend Pre-Prep Leatherhead: (2-6 years) 13 Epsom Road, Leatherhead KT22 8ST | Downsend School: (6-16 years), 1 Leatherhead Road, Leatherhead KT22 8TJ
Number of Pupils: 700
Fees: £1030 – £5145 per term (2018/2019). The Year 9-11 fee is currently set at £5,710 a term and will be subject to the normal annual fee rises.
Head Teacher: Mr Ian Thorpe BA(Ed) Hons MAEd
Religious Affiliation: Non-denominational
Entrance Procedure: Parents and children are invited to have a private tour of the Downsend schools or attend the popular open days before registering their child. All children joining Downsend Pre-Prep schools will be invited to a taster day. Assessment days are held in January for applications for Year 3 and 7, with smaller assessment days scheduled throughout the academic year for entry into other Year groups. These assessments go beyond the narrow scoring of Maths and English and look at the vital skills of collaboration and problem-solving via our STEAM schedule. A deposit is payable to confirm acceptance of a place offered.
Email: [email protected]
School Visits: All prospective parents are invited to see the schools by having a private tour or attending a school Open Day.
We encourage ‘above and beyond attitudes’, setting high academic standards. A look at our termly calendar shows the variety of matches and activities that give pupils the opportunity to thrive.
Games & The Arts
We have an excellent reputation for sporting success and believe that music, art and design are vital components of a balanced curriculum. We encourage pupils to work imaginatively, express themselves creatively, and develop their collaborative problem-solving skills.
We look after each other at Downsend and our pastoral care is focused on helping the whole child. We make sure everyone has someone to turn to, whether that’s a teacher, Peer Mentor, House Captain, Playground or dedicated Lunch Monitor. Pupils are part of a Form and Year group team, but also a vertical House group, allowing younger pupils to look up to, and work with, their older role models.
2018/19 – 52 scholarships awarded: Academic, Sport, Music, DT and Drama.
Head Teacher’s Philosophy
Education is about developing people; our children have spark because we support them to take responsibility and engage in their learning. We nurture our pupils to have belief in their individual ability and a positive outlook on life. They attain high standards due to the demands of a dynamic curriculum.
- Our excellent teachers open doors in children’s minds at Downsend because they possess knowledge of, and passion for, their specialist areas.
- We have a 100% success rate at Common Entrance and over 240 senior school scholarship places have been awarded in the last 6 years.
- By the time they leave us, children have developed into confident, polite young people prepared academically and socially for the next step.
- In this way, they are ready to take full advantage of the opportunities that await them – a true education for life.
- We go beyond preparing our children for a place at their first-choice destination school, with a creative approach to learning that inspires young minds from the time they first join us.
- 50-week wraparound care via our outstanding Downsend+ provision across our sites
Back to all Schools